Ages: Big Kid Scientists
Materials: black ink pad, paper, fingers, down load lab sheets by following the links in the procedure
- Study the basic characteristics of fingerprints with this information. or search the internet for more information.
- Collect your own fingerprints...you may want to practice a couple times before you print them on the data sheet. Roll your finger carefully on the ink pad, just once across, then roll your finger onto a piece of paper. You should be able to see the print clearly. This does take practice, so be patient. Once you can create a clear print, enter your prints on the data sheet.
- Analyze your fingerprints, it might help to use a hand lens or magnifier. What patterns do you see? How many different characteristics do you have?
- Collect the fingerprints of family members or friends. You can print additional copies of the data sheet for your collection.
- Now you can use the graph to analyze your fingerprint collection. What do you notice? What are you wondering about fingerprints?