Materials: shallow bowl, pie plate or dinner plate with high edges, food colors, milk, toothpick and dish soap
- Fill the bowl or pie plate with milk (you don't need much, about 1 cm deep)
- Add drops of food color scattered around the edges
- Dip the toothpick into dish soap
- Touch the surface of the milk with the soapy end of the toothpick
- Watch what happens
- Most Kid Scientists will want to try this again, once they have seen what happens!
- First of all, for Little Kid Scientists, the explanation is beyond their understanding and they probably don't care. I like to use this when my kids are squirrely while I am cooking. They can sit at the counter and watch the reaction, while I get dinner ready.
- If Big Kid Scientists are interested in the chemistry involved, then they have their research question to explore. (Hint...there is a connection to drops of water on a penny)